Working together in small groups students plan their stories to be performed and create simple but wonderfully effective 2 dimensional figures, scenery and props, using readily available materials, to be manipulated behind a lit fabric or paper screen in visually magical presentations. Shadow puppetry is the oldest form of puppetry, traceable back to long-ago India and China, where the traditions continue.
“An excellent experience and opportunity for the students. Most successful.” Teacher, Blake PS, Toronto
Shadow Puppetry for Grades K – 2
A Mactac and tissue paper technique is used, with coloured markers, to create richly colourful puppets.
The pre-prepared materials supplied by the artist cost approximately $25 per class.
- In a half day session, shadow puppets can be made.
- In a whole day, “plays” are planned and performed as well.
Shadow Puppetry for Grades 3 – 6
Construction paper, paper fasteners and BBQ sticks come together in an exploration of light and shadow and simple machines.
- A half day workshop gets a shadow puppetry project started up.
- In a whole day workshop, short plays can be planned and performed with the puppets made.
- A two day (or 4 x ½ days) program includes in-depth planning and storyboarding, leading to designing and building of shadow puppets and props, and culminates in rehearsal and performance.
Shadow Puppetry for Grades 7 – 8
The interplay of positive and negative space is investigated with Bristol board and matte knives (or construction paper and scissors, if teachers prefer!), and the secrets of rigging for specialized shadow puppet movements are revealed.
A half-day session is an introduction to shadow puppets and the start-up of a puppetry project.
- A one day workshop provides more in-depth exploration and experimentation.
- A two day (or 4 x ½ days) program includes in-depth planning and storyboarding, leading to the design and building of shadow puppets and props, and culminates in rehearsal and performance.
“Really opens up oral communication and creativity.” Teacher, Givins/Shaw J.S.
Contact Ann at email@example.com 416-538-6210